Qualifying in KAM
Diploma for Key Account Managers
Until now experienced key account managers did not have an independent qualification to demonstrate to their organisations, their customers and, indeed, themselves that they have a competent and professional approach to this important role.
AKAM now offers a qualification by Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), the professional Diploma in Key Account Management, to working key account managers. Awarded by an independent professional association such as AKAM, it can be accepted across companies and regions by employers and their HR directors. Diploma holders may use the designation 'DipProKAM' after their name as with other qualifications, like 'MBA' for example.
The Diploma in KAM is designed for those who have experience as a key account manager and does not depend on a fixed course of study. AKAM recognises that understanding and competency can be gained in more than one way, through:
• ‘learning by doing’ while fulfilling the role of key account manager
• by observing and exchanging experience with peers and managers in KAM
• by formal learning opportunities like courses and conferences
• by self-study and research.
You gain the Diploma by sending AKAM a demonstration of your competencies as a written account with supporting evidence in various forms: for example, an actual strategic account plan can demonstrate your competency in strategic account planning. (NB All material submitted as part of your application will be kept confidential to selected AKAM Board members/ assessors who can sign NDAs if required and delete your material after evaluation.)
Alongside your experience, you will need to show how an awareness and understanding of underlying theory has informed your practice. Relevant fields are key account management itself, obviously, and related concepts, e.g. product/service marketing. You will find here a list of some books that cover relevant theory.
From this page, you will find everything you need to apply for the AKAM Diploma.
• HOW TO GAIN THE AKAM DIPLOMA: what it is, how it works, how to present a competency
• DIPLOMA COMPETENCY DESCRIPTIONS: competency descriptions are guidance on how to present your competencies
• FEES AND REGISTRATION: costs, timing and registration form
• COMPETENCY WORKBOOKS: downloadable, writable pdf ‘booklets’ for your competency submissions
• REFERENCE BOOKS AND MODULES: useful books and link to 8 recorded lectures on relevant theory, if you need it